In our group we did some research into what people would think of in a film noir film here are the results..
We asked the following question..
- Have you heard about film noir?
- What do you know about it?
- What aspects come into your mind when we say film noir?
- What new things would you like to see in a modern noir film?
- If a new noir was made what genre would you like to see?
- Would you like to see something different from a noir film, if so, what?
- What setting would you expect to see in a typical noir film?
- If you could make up your own plot, what would happen?
Using this research we will now pick our plot of the film we will be making. We found out that most of the people we interviewed knew about Film Noir and knew some of the common features of it. They mentioned things like dark alleys and shadows. If a newer film was made the interviewees said that they would like to see some elements of colour and the traditional crime and violence theme running through it. Most also said that if a new noir was made then they would like to see some thriller elements included. This has inspired us to make our film have a thriller theme. Typical settings would be a forest, dark alleys, a mental asylum or a school. We had some great plot ideas such as thriller themes, death, mental asylum, police, murderer, drugs.
We found out that most of the people we interviewed were mainly media or drama students who were most likely to have a few ideas about Film Noir. Taking this into consideration we have decided to make a genre hybrid by mixing the theme of Film Noir with Thriller to appeal to a wider audience and taking our audience research on board. Questions by Ed Mitchell, Lewis Joslin and Myself and the film was made and filmed by Harriet Kersey and Lewis Joslin.